Media Training: How to work with the media and ace every interview.
Tuesday, December 5, 2023
9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Dynamite Public Relations media training workshop will teach you:
- How to work with the media cycle to maximize coverage
- How to speak in sound bites
- How to create powerful key messages and talking point
- How social media and traditional media can boost your brand
- What to wear on camera
You’ll also learn:
- How to deal with hostile questions
- How to bridge from a reporter’s questions to your talking points
- The ‘tricks’ reporters use
- Effective crisis control measures
Each of our training sessions includes:
- On-camera practice interviews
- A detailed media training manual
- Hands-on practice throughout the workshop
About Dynamite Public Relations
Leila Daoud is a public relations professional with more than 18 years of experience in media relations and crisis management. Leila is a media trainer, published author, communications workshop leader, and panellist. She holds a bachelor of arts degree with a double major from the University of Alberta and received a post-graduate public relations certificate from Mount Royal University.
After several successful years as a public safety spokesperson with law enforcement and disaster management organizations, Leila embarked on an entrepreneurial journey and founded her own public relations consultancy, Dynamite Public Relations. Through her consultancy, she has helped a diverse portfolio of international clients to enhance their reputation, increase visibility, and navigate complex media landscapes. Leila currently sits on the Canadian Public Relations Society of Edmonton’s Board of Directors.
Session I: Media Basics
9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m
Practice – Baseline on-camera interviews.
In this section, participants will learn about the local media landscape and how the media cycle works
Participants will go through the components of a typical interview and will practice their responses to the questions reporters always ask.
This section will also cover:
- How to create effective key messages.
- How to tell an irresistible story.
- How to speak in soundbites.
Session II: The Essentials
10:35 a.m. – Noon
- The ‘tricks’ reporters use and how to avoid them.
- The importance of knowing and strengthening your brand.
- Bridging: your lifeline out of a negative interview.
- A hands-on exercise that will allow participants to solidifying their use of bridging skills and rely on their key messages.
Lunch – Noon – 12:45
12:45 – 1:30
What to wear and how to prepare.
Social media’s role in media relations and branding.
A group exercise and on-camera interviews.
Wrap-up and Q and A.
Group Communications Training
- Half-day and full-day media training.
- Social media and content creation.
- Impactful storytelling for non-profits.
- Mastering stakeholder presentations: how to get donors, funders, and supporters to connect with your organization’s mission.
- Crisis communications: strategies for managing and responding to a crisis
- Government relations and advocacy.
- How to write an attention getting press release
- Basic email and anti-fraud security.